If there are any vitamins, minerals or supplements you would like us to report on, please let us know.
This week we are looking at:
Baobab has as many antioxidants as goji berries, and more calcium than
milk. It has more iron than red meat, more potassium than a banana and more
magnesium than spinach. African people have treasured the baobab tree and its
fruit for thousands of years calling it “The Tree of Life”.
The baobab’s velvety green fruits grow from beautiful white flowers that are
pollinated at night by bats. Inside the hard coconut-like shell are the seeds
which are coated in a pale powder that is sharp and tangy to the taste. It is
this fruit powder that is used in food and drinks.
African people have been eating baobab for centuries. From Senegal to South Africa people use it in different ways, many of them mixing the fruit powder with water and sugar to make a refreshing drink.
It is a boost to health, especially among pregnant women, children and the elderly. Baobab fruit is also said to help fight fevers and settle the stomach.
It has 6x more Vitamin C than an Orange or Lemon and three times the antioxidants found in blueberries, three times the calcium found
in milk, and six times the potassium of bananas.
Baobab fruit also contains all 8 essential amino acids and is rich in pectins, triterpenoids beta-sitosterol, beta-amyrin palmitate, alpha-amyrin palmitate, sterols, saponins, triterpenes & ursolic acids.
It also has a rich content of alkalising minerals: calcium, potassium and magnesium.
1. Revitalises and invigorates - Baobab powder is very high in Vitamin C and malic acid, which have strong energy-yielding properties. It helps improve your body's utilization of food for efficient conversion into energy.
2. Boosts the immune system - Vitamin C and prebiotic fibres in Baobab help boost your immune system.
3. Promotes a healthy digestive system - Baobab powder is high in digestive enzymes and prebiotics that enhance the growth of probiotic bacteria in your gastrointestinal tract.
4. Healthy nervous system - Baobab powder is high in potassium, essential for the nervous system, especially if you drink coffee, carbonated drinks such as cola or alcohol and eat foods high in sodium.
5. Optimises iron uptake - The presence of Vitamin C in conjunction with iron in baobab powder is particularly effective for increasing iron in your body.
RECIPE: Baobab and Pineapple Smoothie
(Will serve at least 6 people)
2 x bananas
1 x litre of pineapple juice
1 heaped tbsp of Boabab powder
1 x large carton of natural yoghurt
A splash of vanilla extract
Place the ingredients in a blender and blend! Simple!
If the smoothie is too thick then add more
If the smoothie is too thin then add more yoghurt or
They are called “smoothies” so make sure you blend for long
enough so that there are no lumps!
Simply drink and go!
Why not try pouring over muesli or porridge as a wonderful
alternative to milk? That is 3 of your five-a-day done in one